Tag Archives: gdb

Setting up Pretty Printers in GDB

There’s an official page on gcc website: https://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/STLSupport. And here is how to set up it under Ubuntu.

Under Ubuntu 12.04(Precise), simply install the libstdc++6 debug package. It includes the python script for pretty printers:

Create a .gdbinit file in your home directory, with the content:

My test program looks like:

Build it with debugging enabled(-g):

Debug it with GDB:

Without pretty printers, the output is tedious and hard to understand:

Under Ubuntu 14.04(Trusty), the 4.8 version of debug package should be installed:

There’s an additional step. Since GDB in Trusty is built with python3, not python2, and the python scripts for pretty printers are in python2 syntax. A simple conversion is required:

Backup it before conversion if neccessary.

Debug Qt Libraries with Ubuntu Debug Packages

In previous articles, I was not able to use Qt’s debug package provided by Ubuntu. Now, I will explain how to use them.

Our simple application:

Our *.pro file, you should enable the debug build:

1. Build your debug version of application:

2. Install Qt’s debug package:

3. Install the Qt source:

Now you can start debugging your application. Since Qt’s debug symbols are installed in /usr/lib, It does not follow the GDB’s global debug directory described here. We should tell GDB to load these symbols manually:

We set a breakpoint at the beginning of main function to load all shared libraries. Next, we will load symbols for libQtCore.so.4. The symbol will be loaded in the start address of it (0xb7652510):

Now, you are able to step into the Qt library, but no source is attached:

Source files are attached by:

See the source and backtrace? 🙂

Using Ubuntu Debug Packages in GDB (2)

From last blog, I’ve demostrated the usage of Ubuntu *-dbg packages. However, not all *-dbg packages seem to work as libssl0.9.8-dbg. For instance, libcurl3-dbg and libqt4-dbg packages do not work. I’m afraid some debug info are missing in these two packages. I’m not sure.

I googled a lot, but was not able to find a solution. So I decided to build the debug version of the two library myself. Here are steps for libcurl:

After all, the compiled binary is located in /home/gonwan/testgdb/curl-7.19.7/lib/.libs/. Note, this is a hidden folder.

Here comes our test code:

Build commands:

I use /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4 instead of lcurl, since lcurl will link the binary to /usr/lib/libcurl-gnutls.so.4. But I currently cannot afford it :(. Last, start our GDB:

It prints the backtrace now, though I’m not so accustomed to console debugging. I add the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment to let our test program find our homemade version of libcurl.so.4. In fact, we can run ldd like following lines. You see the re-direction?

Later, I successfully made it possible to debug Qt source code in IDE. I chose QtCreator, since it has both windows and linux version, and it’s easy to install and configure. I also built my homemade version of Qt:

I only built the most common modules, excluding webkit, script, xmlpatterns, phonon, multimedia and declarative modules. It took only 25 minutes to finish (An entire build under windows may take 3 – 4 hours.). After all, start your QtCreator, create a Qt console project with the source below:

Build the project in debug mode. And now, here’s the magic: Go to Project tab –> Run Settings –> Run Environment, append our homemade Qt library path to LD_LIBRARY_PATH. In my example, it’s /home/gonwan/testgdb/qt4-x11-4.6.2/lib. Ok, you’re almost done! Go back to the Edit tab, set a breakpoint at line 4 (or line 3 as you like), press F5 to start debugging the project. Then continue pressing F11, you will find GDB has stepped into Qt source code! Let me take a screenshot:


In order to load our homemade *.so, we can also run “make install”.

Using Ubuntu Debug Packages in GDB

I will use openssl library as example. Here’s a simplest source:

Now build and start your GDB, note the ‘-g’ option is necessary:

GDB cannot step into openssl source code, since there’s no debug symbol found. In Ubuntu, we can install it using apt-get. I’m using Hardy(8.04):

Launch our GDB again:

Symbols are found, GDB prompt for missing source files! We can install by typing:

The source files will be downloaded and extracted in openssl-0.9.8g folder. Now we wanna attach the source files when debugging.

Oh! Everything works!